Major Tillery – An Innocent Man Imprisoned Through Gross State Misconduct!
Major Tillery’s case exposes police and prosecutorial misconduct used to obtain false convictions. Tillery is actually innocent and he’s been imprisoned for 33 years, 20 of them in solidarity confinement. Police detectives, with the assistance of prosecutors, used the stick and the carrot to get jailhouse informants to lie and inculpate Tillery.
These prosecution witnesses were threatened with false murder charges, promised plea deals and no state prison time, and were provided with private time in the Roundhouse homicide interview rooms for sexual relations with their girlfriends as inducement to lying against Major Tillery.
Major Tillery was convicted of homicide, assault, weapons and conspiracy charges in May 1985 for poolroom shootings that left one man dead and another wounded on October 22, 1976, purportedly over disputes between drug dealers.
Without the testimony of these jailhouse informants, there was absolutely no case against Major Tillery. There was no physical evidence. The surviving victim of the shooting named two other men as the shooters. No charges were brought against Tillery and his co-defendant for four years, and then only after police coercion combined with favors to a career informant.
UPDATE: Major Tillery Files New Petition--
- Federal Retaliation Lawsuit February 11, 2016
- PCRA June 15, 2016
- PCRA Exhibits June 15, 2016
- Supplemental PCRA, Sept. 7, 2016
- Response to Notice of Intent to Dismiss September 7, 2016
- Date Stamped Brief Cover, April 12, 2017
- Appelant Brief, April 12, 2017
- Reply Appeal Brief August 16, 2017
- Petition for Conviction Review April 9, 2018
- Elderly Prisoners Appeal for Help
- Solidarity Statements
- Help Major Tillery